DUCKLING into a SWAN?

Distracted with work on a marbling video and with teaching in Kauai, I haven't been blogging as much as I would have liked. The upside is that I have had an opportunity to work on several pieces I've been wanting to marble plus working on a few new paintings. Stay tuned for more examples.

This is the marbled painting you saw in my last post. I don't love it at this stage, but there's way too much fun happening here to give up!



Below is the piece again, after painting over it with gouache and watercolor! Notice how the shape of the head and beak have changed and how the body is now defined. Adding white feathers over the marbling, along with a bit of darkening of the background near the shoulders creates that definition while the underlying marbled pattern lends cohesiveness and complexity to the piece.

 SPREADING HER WINGS 22x30 inches